Monday was the day!
On Monday, that big old yellow friend in the sky we call the sun totally blotted out from the sky by the moon for a couple minutes. Unless you live with your head buried in the sand, you already knew that.
Also, you live with your head buried in the sand, or you just didn’t care, or curiosity got the better of you, you knew not to stare directly at the sun while it was happening unless you were wearing the special sunglasses.
I, of course, looked directly at the sun. A few times. Not for long periods of time – maybe a second or two here and there. There was so much cloud cover in northern Illinois, and you could so little of the actual sun, that I felt safe. But I definitely felt my eyes aching the next day.
In honor of my impending blindness, I submit for your approval a new mixtape—”Staring at the Sun.” You can check it out HERE:
- The Birth and Death of the Day – Explosions in the Sky
- Invisible Sun – The Police
- Paint It, Black – The Rolling Stones
- Blackstar – David Bowie
- Black Hole Sun – Soundgarden
- Staring at the Sun – U2
- How to Disappear Completely – Radiohead
- Total Eclipse of the Heart – Sleeping at Last
- Moon Eclipsed the Sun – Evolfo
- Sleeping Sun – Coldplay
- No Sunlight – Death Cab for Cutie
- Dark Side of the Moon – Chris Staples
- Are You a Hypnotist?? – The Flaming Lips
- Brain Damage/ Eclipse – Pink Floyd
Andrew is a husband, father, dog lover, craft beverage enthusiast, content creator, and niche market Internet celebrity. Formerly of A Table in the Corner of the Cafe and The Pulitzer Project and contributor to Barista Magazine and Mental Floss, he’s been writing on the Internet for years.